Web Development Team Lead
OPEN Technologies (OPEN) seeks to expand its team with a Web Development Team Lead. As Web Development Team Lead, you will work closely with the CEO, Product Team, and Development Team to ensure that OPEN’s software products serve the company’s critical mission and business goals.
OPEN’s data and software tools help the people that shape our cities to make pro-climate decisions with confidence. For policy-makers, incentive designers, capital providers, and industry participants, we translate complex datasets into actionable data to achieve energy and carbon savings from buildings.
OPEN’s suite of products and custom solutions informs energy efficiency and carbon reduction decisions across the built environment, from high performance design solutions for new homes to benchmark and retrofit options for existing towers. And everything in between.
We are also a small but ambitious group of people aligned around an outward facing mission and a commitment to building a culture of shared exploration, curiosity, and growth.
In pre-COVID times we worked out of an impact-focused co-location space in Vancouver’s Gastown; now we work from our kitchen tables and have optional in-person days every couple of weeks.
Every OPEN team member has the same top line item on their role description: to be a part of making OPEN successful, its work impactful, and its work culture collegial, creative, and productive.
As the Web Development Team Lead you will specifically:
- Collaborate across the OPEN team to define and execute the technical vision of the company
- Inform design processes to prescribe the right technical solutions to the needs of OPEN’s users
- Build, support, and manage OPEN’s internal development team and roster of contractors, including:
- translating functional requirements and large tasks from Product Managers into smaller, actionable tasks
- ensuring effective code reviews
- ensuring the effective operation and maintenance of existing products in market
- coaching and mentoring your team, supporting their skills and professional development goals
- Build design systems that enhance product quality and reduce technical debt
- A doer, highly effective at turning ideas in actions and actions into impact
- A natural collaborator both internally and externally
- Willing to roll up your sleeves and do whatever needs to be done, including writing code when necessary
- A people leader and mentor to individuals and teams
- A demonstrated drive to solve critical energy efficiency and environmental challenges through data analysis, data visualization, software development, and business innovation
- 2+ years of leading successful development teams, ideally in an entrepreneurial, quickly changing environment
- technical and industry knowledge, with the ability to expertly weigh in on key technical decisions from design to deployment
- Breadth of technical understanding from backend to frontend, data, and security
- Ability to think in systems and to make decisions iteratively
- Passion for and experience in cultivating strong teams and the career development of individual team members.
Because you will be synthesizing the OPEN team’s knowledge and experience in building science, building and energy modelling, and data science, you are likely a very compelling candidate to join us if you have technical knowledge and industry experience in the following areas:
- the clean energy, energy efficiency, and building innovation sectors
- the possible role of smart contracts in data disclosure products
- the possible role of AI and machine learning in a predictive modelling context
- data visualization and story-telling
Compensation and Benefits
The Web Development Team Lead will receive a competitive compensation package (commensurate with experience) and will be eligible to participate in OPEN’s benefits program after a three month probationary period.
How can you apply?
Please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Last Name, First Name, Web Development Team Lead.”
- A brief resume and portfolio showing relevant experience
- A brief cover letter that explains how you meet the requirements and why you are interested in working with OPEN
OPEN strives to build a team that reflects the diversity of the communities we are a part of. We strongly encourage applicants from groups that are underrepresented in tech such as women, visible minorities, Indigenous persons, LGBTQ2 persons, and persons with disabilities.