VP of Technology
OPEN is a dynamic technology company that’s changing the game in energy efficiency and environmental innovation. Our team is made up of dedicated individuals who are passionate about making a difference and having a positive impact on the world. We’re looking for a Vice President of Technology who shares our vision and wants to be a part of shaping the future of our company.
Reporting to the CEO, you’ll work alongside our talented team to define and execute upon the technical vision of OPEN to ensure that OPEN’s software products serve the company’s critical mission and business goals.
OPEN’s data and software tools help the people that shape our cities to make pro-climate decisions with confidence. For policy-makers, incentive designers, capital providers, and industry participants, we translate complex datasets into actionable insights to achieve energy and carbon savings from buildings.
OPEN’s suite of products and custom solutions informs energy efficiency and carbon reduction decisions across the built environment, from high performance conceptual designs for new homes to benchmark and retrofit options for existing towers. And everything in between.
We are a small but ambitious group of people aligned around an outward facing mission and a commitment to building a culture of shared exploration, curiosity, and growth.
We work in a hybrid remote-in person model, with most of the team working three days per week from our office in Vancouver’s Gastown.
Every OPEN team member has the same top line item on their role description: to be a part of making OPEN successful, its work impactful, and its work culture collegial, creative, and productive.
As the VP of Technology you will:
- Lead, retain, develop, and mentor a successful and diverse team of software developers
- Collaborate with the rest of OPEN’s leadership on our business vision, technology strategy, and product roadmaps
- Working with the product team, inform design processes to prescribe the right technical solutions to the needs of OPEN’s users
- Take accountability for OPEN’s information security, governance, regulation, and compliance policies such as ISO/SOC2, and so earn and keep our clients’ trust.
- Own our product development processes to ensure efficient execution
- Be accountable for assigning/tracking work to the development team:
- Translate functional requirements and large tasks from Product Managers into smaller, actionable tasks
- Ensure effective code reviews
- Manage operations and maintenance for existing products in market
- Identify and engage aligned contractors and ensure that their contributions are integrated into final products
- Build design support systems that enhance product quality and reduce technical debt
- Take responsibility for technical architecture and plan for future scale of our technology
- Coach and mentor your team, supporting their skills and professional development goals
- A doer: highly effective at turning ideas into actions and actions into impact
- A natural collaborator both internally and externally
- Willing to roll up your sleeves and do whatever needs to be done, including writing code
- A people leader and mentor to individuals and teams
- A demonstrated drive to solve critical energy efficiency and environmental challenges through data analysis, data visualization, software development, and business innovation
3-5+ years of leading successful development teams, ideally in an entrepreneurial, quickly-changing environment
- Deep technical and industry knowledge, with the ability to expertly weigh in on key technical decisions from design to deployment
- Breadth of technical understanding from backend to frontend, data, and security
- Ability to think in systems and to make decisions iteratively
- Passion for and experience in cultivating strong teams and the career development of individual team members
Because you will be synthesizing the OPEN team’s knowledge and experience in building science, building and energy modeling, and data science, you are likely a very compelling candidate to join us if you have technical knowledge and industry experience in the following areas:
- the clean energy, energy efficiency, and building innovation sectors
- the possible role of smart contracts in data disclosure products
- the possible role of machine learning and statistics in a predictive modeling context
- data visualization and story-telling
Compensation and Benefits
The VP of Technology will receive a competitive compensation package commensurate with experience and will be eligible to participate in OPEN’s benefits program after a three month probationary period.
How can you apply?
Please send the following to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line “Last Name, First Name, VP of Technology”.
1. A brief resume showing relevant experience
2. A brief cover letter that explains how you meet the requirements and why you are interested in working with OPEN
OPEN strives to build a team that reflects the diversity of the communities we are a part of. We encourage applicants from groups that are underrepresented in tech such as women, visible minorities, Indigenous persons, LGBTQ2 persons, and persons with disabilities.