OPEN Technologies (OPEN) seeks a Product Manager for its Building Energy Benchmark software platform (GRID) and other early development products. This role will be focused on early product identification and development, with an emphasis on user research and product design.
As a Product Manager on a small but growing team, you will work closely with the CEO, Manager of Custom Software Solutions, and Development Team to ensure that OPEN’s products serve the company’s critical mission and business goals. Your accountability will be centered on ensuring that initial and future versions of the products offer unique value in addressing the business and mission purpose of the software.
OPEN’s data and software tools help the people that shape our cities to make pro-climate decisions with confidence. For policy-makers, incentive designers, capital providers, and industry participants, we translate complex datasets into actionable data to achieve energy and carbon savings from buildings.
OPEN’s suite of products and custom solutions informs energy efficiency and carbon reduction decisions across the built environment, from high performance design solutions for new homes to benchmark and retrofit options for existing towers. And everything in between.
We are also a small but ambitious group of people aligned around an outward facing mission and a commitment to building a culture of shared exploration, curiosity, and growth.
In pre-COVID times we worked out of an impact-focused co-location space in Vancouver’s Gastown; now we work from our kitchen tables and have optional in-person days when lockdown conditions allow.
Every OPEN team member has the same top line item on their role description: to be a part of making OPEN successful, its work impactful, and its work culture collegial, creative, and productive.
As currently the only Product Manager on a small team, your role will be multifaceted. Some of your core accountabilities and/or responsibilities will include:
- launching and supporting products, product features, and bug fixes while maintaining clear communication on scope, timelines, and budget to stakeholders and/or customers.
- maintaining a living vision of the product portfolio’s long term strategy to solve identified, targeted real world problems for our clients and users with regards to energy consumption in the built environment
- documenting user needs and functional requirements, providing a prioritized list of problems to solve and engaging the development team through epics, stories, and prototypes
- for our early development products, conducting user and market research to determine what gaps exist in the currently available solutions (including our own) that we could address with our product suite
Additionally, you will be involved in:
- working with the Customer Service Representative to provide support to clients while receiving feedback, validating prototypes of new features, and providing updates on the product changes
- measuring and communicating product success
- working with the team to develop a go-to-market plan for new products or releases
- building awareness and advocating for our products within relevant communities
- supporting marketing and sales efforts with product related content
- identifying gaps in the marketplace that are opportunities for us.
As a strong Product Manager candidate you:
- have at least three (3) years of experience in a product role, with some leadership experience in bringing new technical products to market – ideally in an enterprise software context – and/or experience in managing an existing product through its early launch and development.
- have grounding in key methodologies and practices in user research, user experience design, and software production; working with the technical and design teams, you will play a key role in understanding market and user insights and helping to translate those into valuable functional offerings
- are an effective and empathetic people person, skilled and insightful in understanding the motivations and challenges of OPEN’s customers and users (in the government, property management, and investment sectors)
In addition, particularly strong candidates will:
- have subject matter expertise in the green building and energy efficiency sectors, an understanding of the dynamic between stakeholders and a working knowledge of the key market drivers (regulatory, technological, and financial) affecting both that sector and the market potential for OPEN’s product offering
- have conceptual knowledge and industry understanding in key areas of data science and analysis, including database design, machine learning, and visualization.
Compensation and Benefits
The Product Manager will receive a base salary of $85,000 – $99,000 (commensurate with experience) and will be eligible to participate in OPEN’s benefits program after a three month probationary period.
How can you apply?
Please send the following to email@example.com with the subject line “Last Name, First Name, Product Manager”.
- A brief resume showing relevant experience
- A brief cover letter that explains how you meet the requirements and why you are interested in working with OPEN
OPEN strives to build a team that reflects the diversity of the communities we are a part of. We particularly encourage applicants from groups that are underrepresented in tech such as women, visible minorities, Indigenous persons, LGBTQ2 persons, and persons with disabilities.